Friday, February 14, 2014

1 year later

I’m constantly being asked, why I decided to join Kappa Alpha Theta and charter an organization on campus. I could easily say that it was so that I could define my sorority and not let myself be defined by my sorority, I could say that it was to follow in my Grandfather’s footsteps (he charted a fraternity at Miami University of Ohio), or I could say that it was to leave a lasting impact on the university that gave me so many opportunities. Looking back, when I decided to join Theta it wasn't because any of these reasons but rather to simply be a part of the Greek community on campus. As much as it pains me to admit this, this statement was true a year ago. After going through recruitment and having to think about why I joined Theta and how I could communicate the reasons to a PNM in hopes of inspiring them to join our (AWESOME!) organization, I realized my reasons for staying in Theta are different from my reasons for joining Theta. The sisterhood and sense of community I have found in theta rings true to what everyone says about sororities, my sisters are there for me through thick and thin and inspire me to be the best version of myself that I can be (however cliché that sounds, it is 100% true). I stayed a Theta because it gave me a place to succeed, and also provided me with a group of girls who believe in me and truly think that I can and will be successful. Theta gave me the courage to try new things; joining this organization was like taking a step into the unknown, no one had any idea of what the future of this organization. After receiving a not so great grade, I question my place at this university academically, after a disagreement with my roommate, I question my behavior, after a pit sit, I question what goes into the food on this campus. Not once as being a member of Kappa Alpha Theta, have I ever questioned my place in this organization or whether it was the right fit for me. I am forever indebted to Kappa Alpha Theta for giving me lifelong friendships, providing me with the skills necessary to succeed on campus and also at my future job, giving me the courage to try new things, and most importantly motivating me to be the best version of myself that I can be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment